When you hear ’trampoline’, the mind most likely shoots back to some childhood experience; perhaps care-free days outdoors in the summer at a friend’s house with a trampoline? Perhaps a bad experience from performing a double backflip with a twist and landing on the mud headfirst? Perhaps, but it’s not just for kids! There are so many fun classes to try out in London, and this one which I’ve seen all over social media recently, certainly gets the heart rate up! I thought I had to give it a go, so I went with a few girlfriends to Oxygen Freejumping in West London for a recon session, and was overwhelmed by the fun I had! It totally brought out my inner child, got me to work up a serious sweat, as well as feeling it in unusual muscles the next day! This post is a review of my ‘top 6’ benefits of trampolining, a photo-review of another fun class, as well as a message for the girls around the importance of a good supportive sports bra, in my case Shock Absorber. Click MORE to see the full post…
The benefits of trampolining as a form of exercise, as I see them, are 6-fold:
1) PROPER CARDIO: it’s much like HIIT training in the sense that it’s very intense. Surprisingly so – jumping about with vigour is fun, but that enjoyment lulls you into a false sense of security, as very quickly you realise how tired you are, and just how quickly it’s gotten the pulse moving! Drink plenty of water when dispatching your trampoline session, as you can quickly dehydrate given the intensity!
2) SQUAT: it’s basically ‘squat jumping’, which is a fabulous way to engage the majority of the lower body, as well as parts of the torso! You can see the benefits of Squatting at my post HERE.
3) LOWER IMPACT: running can impose a multiple of your bodyweight, increase it by up to 4x, which in turn imparts a huge stress on your lower body. Whereas trampolining is thought to be just 20% as strenuous on your joints compared to running on a road. Arguably, it’s thought that the subtle stress it imparts on the bones causes a strengthening response from them, so by trampolining regularly, you’ll be encouraging a stronger skeleton!
4) COORDINATION: You have to concentrate to get the body to react precisely as you’d wish whilst it’s in the air. It involves a simultaneous consideration of balance, bounce, position and planning the next few moves!
5) BALANCE: The unstable surface engages stabilising muscles which you might not otherwise activate, helping to firm the whole body, as it targets more than just a single muscle – unlike a machine might at the gym. You’ll be working the Abdominals, the Glutes, the Quads, The Hamstrings… It’s arguably a very well-rounded workout!
6) HAPPINESS: There is a noticeable endorphin release when you trampoline. There’s something immensely satisfying about the rebounding sensation, especially when combined with the activity-stimulated joy of the workout – it’s hard to feel anything other than ‘really great!’, so why not give it a try, if for nothing other than to mix up your fitness routine with a bit of newness?!
GIRLY TOPIC ALERT! Since we’re on the matter of bouncing, for women out there, you’ll likely know the struggle around finding a bra which is both supportive AND comfortable. It always ‘shocks’ me that 44% of regularly-exercising women don’t wear a sports bra, since that the breasts can bounce up to 14cm during exercise (parameter-dependent!). For the past few years, since I was introduced to Shock Absorber at THIS event where I had the pleasure of interviewing cycling legend Victoria Pendleton, I’ve been a fan of the transformative support I’ve had from their bra; it’s become an important part of my regular workout outfit, as much as trainers and headphones! It keeps me where I want to be and has been shown to reduce breast movement by over 75%, so to my mind, it’s helped to eliminate discomfort, tenderness and soreness from my post-workout experience, which is a big win – I get why they’re the UK’s #1 sports bra brand, as others have clearly shared my experience!
I WAS WEARING:
TOP: Monreal perforated black sports top – similar HERE
LEGGINGS: Monreal Booty Boost leggings in neon pink
BRA: Shock Absorber ‘Active Multi Sports Support‘ bra
BAG: Valentino Chain Cross Body Bag
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: