As POPSUGAR editors, we independently select and write about stuff we love and think you’ll like too. If you buy a product we have recommended, we may receive affiliate commission, which in turn supports our work.
If you’re reading this, you’ve probably already found the gym classes you love paired with your trustworthy pair of high-waisted leggings. Now it’s time to step up your gym-bag game a notch with our ultimate guide to the best gym bags. If you haven’t yet found the class for you and are completely new to fitness, we can help there, too. It can be difficult to know exactly what to look for when investing in a new gym bag, especially if they’re on the pricey side.
That’s why we’ve searched high and low to find gym bags that are stylish enough to take with you to your workouts, run errands with, or bring on a day trip. Gone are the days when all you had to choose from was a black oversized duffle bag. Now, you can find eco-friendly bags, ones with internal wet and dry compartments, and more. To help you on your search, we’ve compiled a handy user guide on what to look out for when investing in a new gym bag.
What to Consider When Buying a Gym Bag
- Size — is there enough room for trainers, toiletries, and a full gym kit?
- Storage compartments — look for interior and exterior pockets and small zip-up compartments to separate your sweaty kit from your jewellery and phone.
- Comfort – as the old saying “try before you buy” goes, try to test the bag before you make your purchase.
- Reviews – if you’re deciding between a few bags, reviews are always a good place to start.
- Where you’ll be using it – if you’re a commuter, you might want to consider a backpack or a tote with a comfortable shoulder strap.
- Colour – lighter colours will get dirty quickly, so if you are a regular gym-goer, you might want to opt for a darker shade. Otherwise, prepare to wipe down light bags more often.
- Durability – you’ll want a gym bag that is built to last.
- Fabric – a water-repellent bag is great for all occasions, whether that’s in the rain, out on an adventure, or if the worst should happen and your water leaks in your bag (we’ve all been there).
- Lightweight – if the bag is already heavy when empty, then you might want to consider another option (unless you want another session of weightlifting when your kit is inside).
Essentials to Store Inside Your Gym Bag:
- Travel-friendly fillable bottles for products
- Dry shampoo
- Extra bag for storing your sweaty kit
- Hair ties and grips
- Water bottle
Read on to shop our favourite gym bags that are durable, stylish, and practical to suit every budget.