This copycat Portillo’s chopped salad is the best combination of all time! Romaine lettuce seasoned with a delicious and flavorful vinaigrette dressing. Topped with some pasta, veggies, and cheese, you can’t forget the best part… the bacon!
A delicious salad is always a good choice, and this Portillo’s salad is the best of the best! Try some of my other favorite salads that satisfy any veggie craving! A few of them are this cranberry feta bowtie salad, this BLT avocado pasta salad, and this chilled cucumber tomato salad. They are so hearty and filling.
Copycat Portillo’s Chopped Salad Recipe
There is nothing better than a fresh salad! But sometimes I have a hard time choosing between a pasta salad or a green salad. That’s what makes this popular salad from the Chicago area extra delicious. I don’t have to choose! The small ditalini pasta noodles add a great element, but there aren’t so many that this becomes a “pasta salad.” And in the chicken and then bacon… Well, that’s what makes this a meal and not just a side dish!
I love copycat recipes and this one really hit it out of the park! This salad has everything you need, which is why it works for lunch, dinner, and any other occasion. Once you top it with some delicious homemade dressing and feta cheese, you will want to lick your bowl clean. Yep, it’s that good!
What Ingredients are in Portillo’s Chopped Salad?
Get ready for your mouth to water after you read this list of ingredients! Fresh veggies, lots of protein, and a delicious dressing. It makes me want to make this right now! Check out the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact measurements.
- Romaine Lettuce and Iceberg Lettuce: I like to use both because it adds color and texture!
- Red Cabbage: You can’t beat that deep purple color and delightful crunch of red cabbage.
- Ditalini Pasta: I love how small this pasta is! Because it’s small, adds little bits of pasta to the salad without being too overwhelming.
- Cooked Chicken and Bacon: Cook your chicken and bacon up beforehand so it’s ready to go! Sometimes I even like to buy a rotisserie chicken and then shred it up. leftover chicken is delicious and saves me some time!
- Roma Tomatoes: The tomatoes add such a fresh and juicy taste.
- Green Onions: I love the hint of flavor that bring onions bring to this salad.
- Gorgonzola Cheese Crumbles: This is a MUST and is the best topping!
- Lemon Vinaigrette: This is the tastiest dressing recipe that really combines all of the flavors and then makes it taste so good! You can also buy an Italian dressing from the store and use that too!
How to Make Portillo’s Chopped Salad
Making this salad is simple! Once you have your cooked protein then all you have to do is toss and serve. It doesn’t get much better than that!
- Combine: In a large salad bowl combine romaine, iceberg lettuce, cabbage, ditalini, chicken, bacon, fresh tomatoes, green onions, and gorgonzola.
- Make the Dressing: Follow the steps for the Lemon Vinaigrette dressing.
- Toss: Pour the dressing over the salad and then toss everything to combine.
The best part about making this Portillo’s chopped salad like this at home is that you can add whatever you want! Here are a few ideas of ways to change things up.
- Protein: You don’t have to stick with chicken and bacon! Try adding in a hard-boiled egg or even some leftover steak that you might have on hand from all of the grilling that happens during the summer!
- Pasta: You can use whatever pasta noodles you have on hand, they will all work great in this salad. Some that I have used in a pinch are elbow noodles, penne pasta, or even bowtie pasta.
- Vegetables: Add in your very favorite vegetables and it just makes this salad that much better! Try some cucumbers, some peppers or even some olives!
Can I Make This Ahead of Time?
You can definitely make this Portillo’s chopped salad ahead of time! Just make sure to add the dressing to it just before serving and no sooner. You don’t want your lettuce to get soggy!
Calories274kcal (14%)Carbohydrates35g (12%)Protein18g (36%)Fat7g (11%)Saturated Fat2g (10%)Polyunsaturated Fat1gMonounsaturated Fat2gTrans Fat0.01gCholesterol36mg (12%)Sodium196mg (8%)Potassium367mg (10%)Fiber2g (8%)Sugar3g (3%)Vitamin A1849IU (37%)Vitamin C13mg (16%)Calcium58mg (6%)Iron1mg (6%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.