This fresh and flavorful avocado tuna salad is the perfect side dish for summer! The combo of bright veggies, savory tuna, and creamy avocado is one you don’t want to miss!
Potluck season is here, and that means it’s time to break out all of the easy recipes that feed a crowd! I’ve rounded up a few more tasty side dishes to try- Mexican pasta salad, Greek broccoli pasta salad, and this BLT avocado pasta salad! Not only are they all super easy to make, but absolutely delicious!
Avocado Tuna Salad Recipe
My favorite part of summer potlucks is all of the cool, creamy, and savory side dishes you get to try! I always load up my plate with chicken salad sandwiches and pasta salad. There really isn’t anything better! They’re light and refreshing but still hearty and savory. This avocado tuna salad is the perfect new addition to the lineup. It’s creamy, meaty, and tossed with the most delicious seasonings and sauces! It’s everything you could want from a summer side.
Avocado tuna salad only takes a few minutes to make and is perfect for taking on the go! It’s an easy protein-packed lunch or the best companion for picnics, parties, baby showers, you name it. It will have everyone coming back for seconds! The tangy Dijon and zesty lemon in this salad really make it stand out from the crowd. It’s packed with so much tasty flavor and the creamy texture is out of this world! Definitely one you’ll want to keep on repeat for all of your summer get-togethers!
What You’ll Need to Make It
This is a super easy, budget-friendly side dish. It only takes a few simple ingredients to make! I love this avocado tuna salad recipe because it uses a lot of things I already have in my kitchen. The most important thing here is to use the freshest veggies and to pick the perfect avocado so that you get the best flavor possible.
- Canned Tuna: I used white canned tuna, but any variety works here! Use your favorite!
- Red Onion: This is a favorite of mine to throw into summer salads. It adds a pop of sharp flavor and a delicious crunch!
- Roma Tomatoes: I always go for Roma tomatoes because they’re extra sweet and juicy!
- Avocados: The perfect avocado will be dark green in color. To make sure it’s ready to eat, gently press on the top of the avocado near the stem- it should be slightly soft but not mushy.
- Dijon Mustard: Adds the perfect tangy flavor and zip!
- Olive Oil: Adds a little flavor and helps sauces/seasonings stick.
- Lemon Juice: Not only does lemon juice add a pop of zesty flavor, but it will keep your avocados from oxidizing and turning brown!
- Salt and Pepper: Add both to taste.
- Additional Veggies: (Optional) For more fresh flavor, try adding chopped celery and cucumber!
How to Make Avocado Tuna Salad
This avocado tuna salad recipe is foolproof! Speaking from experience, it’s also the best thing to whip up last minute for an event. It’s so easy, great for crowds, and insanely good!
- Add Ingredients to a Large Bowl: In a mixing bowl add the tuna, red onion, Roma tomatoes, avocados, Dijon, olive oil, lemon juice, and salt and pepper.
- Toss and Serve: Stir everything together and serve immediately.
Tasty Flavor Additions
Here are a couple extra ways you can spice up your avocado tuna salad! Easy recipes like these are great for adjusting to personal preference!
- Fresh Herbs: You guys know I love putting fresh herbs on everything. They’re my favorite thing to grow in the garden! They just add the best pop of flavor and smell great, too! Fresh dill, parsley, and cilantro are all great for adding on top of your avocado tuna salad for garnish.
- Add Cheese: Add some tasty cheesy flavor to your salad with crumbled feta or freshly grated parmesan!
- Make it Spicy: Try adding a pinch of smoked paprika to your salad at a time until you reach your desired spice level!
How Long Does Leftover Avocado Tuna Salad Last?
This recipe is great for leftovers and making ahead! Store your avocado tuna salad in the refrigerator, it will stay good for up to 4 days in an airtight container. It’s great for eating straight out of the fridge! I love having it around to munch on.
In a bowl add the tuna, red onion, roma tomatoes, avocados, dijon, olive oil, lemon juice, and salt and pepper.
Stir everything together and serve immediately.
Calories339kcal (17%)Carbohydrates16g (5%)Protein14g (28%)Fat26g (40%)Saturated Fat4g (20%)Polyunsaturated Fat3gMonounsaturated Fat18gCholesterol20mg (7%)Sodium179mg (7%)Potassium965mg (28%)Fiber11g (44%)Sugar3g (3%)Vitamin A643IU (13%)Vitamin C24mg (29%)Calcium38mg (4%)Iron2mg (11%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.