Egg Rolls – make your favorite takeout appetizer at home now! It’s incredibly easy, they freeze well and taste absolutely amazing!
Are you always ordering egg rolls when you get takeout? Me too! We do a double batch because I can finish 20 in one sitting. But they are SO easy to make at home. And they are perfect when you want to make them ahead too! Which also makes them a great party appetizer.
Homemade Egg Rolls
These homemade egg rolls are filled with a chicken and vegetable filling. They are extremely versatile because you can use ground pork, ground beef, chopped shrimp, rice noodles and veggies as the filling. You can even turn these into dessert. Fill them up with chocolate or bananas or even apple pie stuffing for dessert egg rolls.
Egg rolls are Chinese and are wrapped in an egg rolls wrapper thats available easily. You stuff them with a filling, wrap them up like a burrito and then deep fry till golden brown.
Difference between Egg Rolls and Spring Rolls
They might look similar in shape but egg rolls and spring rolls are very different. Egg rolls are chinese, they are wrapped in an egg roll wrapper and stuffed with a cooked filling and finally deep fried. Whereas spring rolls are Vietnamese and are made with translucent rice paper and stuffed generally with fresh, raw ingredients.
Freezing Egg Rolls
Egg rolls can be easily frozen. Once you’ve wrapped them, lay them in a single layer on a baking sheet and pop them in the freezer. Once frozen, transfer them to a ziplock bag and place them back in the freezer. They’ll stay good for up to 6 months. When you want to cook them, just fry them frozen. They’ll take a few minutes to crisp up and will be ready when they are golden brown!
It’s important that your oil is heated to 350 F while frying these. Use a thermometer to maintain the temperature. This will ensure that they don’t turn soggy, and come out crisp and golden brown. They only take a few minutes to fry so its important that you keep an eye on them.
That’s how easy these are to make at home. They taste best with a sweet chilli dipping sauce. Or just use straight up soy sauce!
More Asian Appetizer Recipes
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp minced ginger
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 cups coleslaw mix
- 1/2 pound ground chicken
- 3 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 12 egg roll wrappers
- oil for frying
- Heat oil in a pan and stir fry garlic, ginger, celery till fragrant. Add the coleslaw mix and cook till the cabbage is wilted.
- Add the ground chicken, oyster sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil and sriracha. Stir fry the chicken while breaking it up for 3-4 minutes. Once the chicken is cooked and there is no liquid left in the pan, stir in the green onions and turn off the flame.
- To wrap the egg rolls, place the egg roll wrapper so that one corner is towards you. Place a tablespoon of filling in the bottom half (towards you) and wrap that corner over the filling. turn both sides over the wrapper and then continue rolling away from you (like a burrito), till you reach the end. Seal the edges with some water or a beaten egg. Repeat till all the wrappers are made.
- Heat oil in a pan (about 2 inches) till it's 350C. Fry 4-5 egg rolls at a time till they are crisp and golden brown. Serve hot with sweet chilli dipping sauce.