This chocolate chip banana bread takes a family favorite and brings it to the next level! It’s moist and packed with flavor. I bet that you won’t be able to stop at just one slice!
Everyone loves banana bread! And it’s even better when you can spice it up with some additional flavors! If you want to try some other banana bread recipes, then start with this classic banana bread, this strawberry banana bread, or this blueberry banana bread!
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
This isn’t just regular banana bread. It’s chocolate chip banana bread! This recipe is the best because it creates a thick and smooth batter with buttermilk. Yep, creamy buttermilk is what takes this recipe to the next level! This means that in every single bite, you will taste delicious melted chocolate, a hint of banana flavor, and moist and delicious bread.
This chocolate chip banana bread makes a great after-school snack for kids, and my kids LOVE it! Plus, it also freezes well! So I will usually make a few batches. One or two to eat immediately and then another that I will freeze for later. Eat this up at breakfast, brunch, or a late-night snack. It’s delicious anytime and anywhere. GIve it a try. It’s going to become a family favorite!
Ingredients You Need to Make It
The list of ingredients to make chocolate chip banana bread is pretty simple. Gather them all up and keep them on hand because you’re going to want to make this again! See the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact measurements.
- Shortening: This is what makes the bread moist.
- Granulated Sugar: The sugar is what makes the bread have a sweet taste.
- Eggs: The eggs bind the batter together.
- Vanilla Extract: This enhances all of the sweet flavors.
- Bananas: Your bananas should be very ripe (with some brown on the skin)
- Buttermilk: You can use store bought butter milk, or if you don’t have any then you can easily make it using this recipe.
- Salt: This brings out all of the flavors in the banana bread.
- Baking Soda: Baking soda is used to make the bread light and not chewy or dense.
- Flour: I used all purpose flour for this bread.
- Chocolate Chips: Feel free to use regular or mini chocolate chips. I used semi-sweet but milk chocolate chips work great too!
How to Make Homemade Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
This bread only takes 10 minutes to whip up, and the rest of the time just requires some patience while it bakes. Luckily, it fills your house with the best smell while you wait!
- Preheat Oven and Prepare the Pan: Preheat oven to 325°F. Generously spray a loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray, and lightly sprinkle granulated sugar in the pan for added sweetness. You can also line the pan with parchment paper to make removing the bread easier if you prefer.
- Cream with Mixer: In a large mixing bowl, cream together the shortening and sugar using a handheld electric mixer.
- Mix: Add the eggs and vanilla extract. Mix until just barely incorporated.
- Mash Bananas: Remove the banana peels and mash bananas in a medium sized bowl using the back of a fork.
- Add in Bananas and Buttermilk: Add mashed bananas and buttermilk to the bowl of ingredients and mix until incorported.
- Mix in the Remaining Dry Ingredients: Add the flour, baking soda, and salt. Be careful not to over mix the batter. Just mix until you no longer see white flour.
- Fold in Chocolate Chips: Fold in ¾ cup chocolate chips using a rubber spatula.
- Pour: Pour into the prepared pan, and sprinkle the remaining ¼ cup chocolate chips on top of the batter.
- Bake: Bake in preheated oven for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool and Slice: Allow the bread to cool before removing from the pan and slicing!
Toppings and Mix-ins
You can add anything to this chocolate chip banana bread, and it will just make it taste even more delicious! The options are endless and have so much flavor to each of them. Here are a few ideas that you can try!
- Nuts or seeds: I love walnuts, almonds, pecans, or even sunflower seeds!
- Dried fruit: Cranberries, blueberries, raisins or apricots change this banana bread into something fresh and fruity!
- Toppings: Add on some cream cheese frosting, maple syrup or simply some butter on top when it’s warm!
How to Store (and Freeze!) Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
This chocolate chip banana bread is the bread that keeps on giving. It stores so well! Remember to make an extra loaf of this to freeze for later! You will be so glad that you did!
- On the Counter: Place your bread in an airtight container and you can snack on it all week! It will last up to 4 days!
- Freeze the Whole Loaf: Once the breac has cooled, wrap the entire loaf tightly using plastic wrap and then a layer of aluminum foil. Then, put it in a ziplock bag (don’t forget to label it with the date!) and put it in the freezer. It will last for about 6 months. When you’re ready to eat it then thaw it in the refrigerator or at room temperature.
- Freeze Individual Slices: Sometimes I like to freeze the brad in slices so that we can have a quick snack on hand without using up the entire loaf! Once the bread is completely cooled, slice the loaf and individually wrap each slice with plastic wrap. Place each slice in a ziplock bag and lay it flat in the freezer. When you are ready to eat it, take out a slice at a time and place in the refrigerator or on the counter at room temperature.
Quickbreads are so delicious and Il love cooking them in my house because they make it smell so delicious! I’ve gathered up some more quick breads for you to try. I’m sure that there are enough that you will find something that you love! Happy baking!
Preheat oven to 325°F. Generously spray a loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray, and lightly sprinkle granulated sugar in the pan for added sweetness. You can also line the pan with parchment paper to make removing the bread easier if you prefer.
In a large mixing bowl, cream together the shortening and sugar using a handheld electric mixer.
Add the eggs and vanilla extract. Mix until just barely incorporated.
Remove the banana peels and mash bananas in a medium-sized bowl using the back of a fork.
Add mashed bananas and buttermilk to the bowl of ingredients and mix until incorporated.
Add the flour, baking soda, and salt. Be careful not to over mix the batter. Just mix until you no longer see white flour.
Fold in ¾ cup chocolate chips using a rubber spatula.
Pour into the prepared pan, and sprinkle the remaining ¼ cup chocolate chips on top of the batter.
Bake in preheated oven for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Allow the bread to cool before removing from the pan and slicing!
The batter can be used to make muffins perfectly! Follow the directions and bake muffins for about 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Calories503kcal (25%)Carbohydrates68g (23%)Protein6g (12%)Fat23g (35%)Saturated Fat9g (45%)Polyunsaturated Fat4gMonounsaturated Fat8gTrans Fat2gCholesterol49mg (16%)Sodium312mg (13%)Potassium344mg (10%)Fiber4g (16%)Sugar39g (43%)Vitamin A119IU (2%)Vitamin C4mg (5%)Calcium36mg (4%)Iron3mg (17%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.